My Ebooks:

My Ebooks:
A thoughtful blend of original ‪‎photography‬, ‪haiku‬ and ‪calligraphy‬; a cathartic journey upon fluid images and simple words.

24 Jul 2011

Avocado and Peach: Rich & Sexy

Everybody meet Nelly author of Cooking With Books.

Writing from the Dominican Republic she keeps most of ours twitter sessions alive with tales of bananas, bacon, chocolate and baking (with the occasional pilates-sore-muscles rant).
You see, she has graduated from the CIA in New York as pastry chef so she is partial to anything that can be shoveled into a hot oven. This doesn't mean that she bakes only sweets, looks like that they are part of her mother's duties; at least this seems to be true for the daily tray of brownies that Nelly keeps beside her to make us more jealous.
Just because of this I asked her to bake some brownies for us but... well, she is unpredictable so let's read what she came up with.


Hello Recipe Taster readers! I'm Nelly, food blogger over at Cooking with Books. To say I am honored to be gracing the pages of Recipe Taster, would be an understatement. I met Alessio during one of the Chef2Chef chats this winter and of course had to start following immediately. His posts, always so well thought out, the words precise and the photography impeccable, at times intimidate me. He has a method, a vision for each of his posts (or so it seems!) and I, on the other hand, just like to throw things together and hope for the best! If you haven’t experienced Cooking with Books, head on over there after reading this post and see what I mean by “throwing things together”!

It took me a good two weeks to figure out what I wanted to guest post for Alessio. There was no way I could ever be as precise and analytical as my lovely Italian friend, but I did want to have one thing in common: great flavor. This post had to be bursting with flavors, layered upon in each coat. Thinking about layers made me somehow think of breading stations and how you’re supposed to season each step; this is how flavor is built. Seasoning, tasting and re-seasoning. Although a simple recipe, the following is a prime example of what a few basic, fresh ingredients can achieve.


Finally! Our Avocado trees have decided to grace us with their babies: plump, buttery avocados are now dangling from the braches, waiting to be picked. After tasting the first avocados of the season, I decided to take them to the next level, adding a crispy texture to them. Avocado fries aren’t a new thing, and were showcased on last seasons’ Top Chef; the rage for avocado fries started and now you can see them as side dishes, on sandwiches and fanned over salads.

Keeping with seasonality, but this time something that the Dominican Republic does not produce but imports from the US: peaches! They’re gorgeous gems that I wish we did produce, but sadly we don’t. Ultimately, I am jealous of everyone that’s picking a juicy peach of the tree. This didn’t keep me from trying to bring peaches into my home, no sir! I scored the grocery stores and markets, finally to find them! They smelled like summer and brought back memories; nothing is better than biting into a peach and having the juices run down your hands.


Avocados and Peaches, a love affair of the Caribbean and North American seasons, won over. Leave it to me to make something healthy into a deep-fried, indulgent snack or side dish. Sure, Avocados are nature’s butter, but imagine that butter deep fried with an outer shell of crispy panko? Imagine then dipping it in a sweet and spicy peach sauce. I’ll stop teasing, here’s the recipe:

Avocado Fries with Sweet & Spicy Peach Dipping Sauce

Ingredients
  • 1 large avocado
  •  ½ cup flour
  •  ½ cup whole milk
  • ½ cup panko
  • Vegetable oil, for deep frying
  • Salt and pepper
  • ½ cup peach puree
  • 2 tablespoons Sriracha (or your favorite hot sauce)
  • 2 tablespoons honey

Method
  1. Stir peach puree, sriracha and honey together. Season with salt and pepper and reserve.
  2. In a medium saucepan, heat about 3 inches of oil. The oil should be 350F for ideal frying temperature.
  3. Set up a breading station, placing flour in first bowl; in the second bowl whisk milk with salt; third bowl fill with panko. Season each step with salt and pepper! This is the order in which you will coat your avocado slices.
  4. Cut avocado open and remove pit and skin. Slice to ½ to ¾ of an inch thick, depending on what size you want your fries to be. The thicker cut the better, as for more control and sturdiness as a “fry” and much easier to dip!
  5. Dip slices into flour and coat; pass on to milk and finish coating with panko. Place on parchment-lined tray while you finish breading.
  6. Carefully fry each avocado slice until golden brown; don’t crowd that pot with slices, frying only a few at a time to keep oil at ideal frying temperature.  Drain the excess oil on paper towels.
  7. Serve with a side of Spicy Peach Dipping Sauce and enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. This sounds drool-worthy! The perfect dish for us here in The South....I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love peaches, avocados, and Marnely! ;-) And this has Sriracha, so sure winner! I would have never imagined this. Whoa, Nelly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly never thought to put avocados into fries, that is brilliant! I think this flavor combination sounds amazing:-) I love following, and reading both of your blogs. So excited to see you here Nelly! Take care, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see Nelly here. I love the idea of avocado fries! Its brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow nelly, buttery avocado fries with peach sound delightful!!! one of a kind recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe, Nelly!! I am glad to visit Alessio's blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Nelly! Love the avocado and peach combo, so summery. It's great to visit recipetaster too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a fan of deep-fried anything! But this is really a unique idea. I think my hubby (a new avocado lover) will go crazy over this one! Is it OK if I take the credit for this one if it turns out great? haha

    Thanks for the fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool, you can never have too many recipes for avacado's! And that spicy peach dipping sauce sounds like a great accompaniment. You sure get around, Nelly! :) Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  10. so wonderful to see Nelly here you are both two of my favorite twitter buddies and man these look so so good

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohmigosh YES! I'll have what she's having!! These look too good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Avocado fries sound amazing!

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow ! great combination & unique idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can only imagine how incredible this must taste... until I make this... A.S.A.P.! Thank you for combining the best summer flavors of the North and the South, and congratulations on your guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an incredible post... Amazing details and such wonderful photos...


    Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you do, so many photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

    I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com
    http://erecipecards.com/

    It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

    in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

    Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!


    Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

    Dave
    http://erecipecards.com/
    Contact@eRecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my god! I've NEVER seen deep fried avocado before...it looks amazing! I bet the creamy rich flesh is just perfect with a crispy, golden crust...I need to try this now :-) What a gorgeous post - thanks for opening my eyes to a new way with avocados!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Blogger,

    Love your tips on food! And I wanted to personally invite you to be one of the top cooking Advisors on ShopSquad, a free shopping advice website where shoppers and your readers can ask Advisors (i.e. you!) for advice.

    If you recommend something that is purchased, from cookware to appliances to kitchen gadgets, you get a percentage of the sale. You're already sharing your expertise through your blog, so why not earn more money for it? You can also earn $5 for each of your readers who signs up.

    Read our great press coverage (http://www.shopsquad.com/about?vsrc=fd921) or learn how ShopSquad works (http://www.shopsquad.com/howitworks?vsrc=fd921). When you're ready, sign up free at www.shopsquad.com.

    Feel free to ask me any questions: marshall@shopsquad.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never heard of fried avocados before but they sound amazing. The spicy peach sauce sounds like the perfect dip. Our peach season (sadly) came to an end here about two weeks ago. Can't wait till next season when I can try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete