My Ebooks:

My Ebooks:
A thoughtful blend of original ‪‎photography‬, ‪haiku‬ and ‪calligraphy‬; a cathartic journey upon fluid images and simple words.

13 Jun 2011

Buttery secret muffins for a chilly evening

Roasted corn muffins with green chili and Parmesan crust

This month Secret Recipe Club has been brought you by Robin of Penny-Pinching Provisions.
When I got assigned Robin's blog as my monthly virtual cookbook, I started going through her posts to look for something that would make me want to cook right away. Can't deny that her Babka's recipes were pretty tempting (what about this Nutella Babka for instance??).

But the time went by, days after days and I had to plan the recipe in my weekly schedule. Still Babka was the choice, until a friend reminded me of a long forgotten video-game... I guess I am about to melt with my chair from the amount of hours I'm spending on it.
These are the occasions when I am really thankful for my pressure cooker. Man I do love that pot! The weather got quite fresh during the latter days too so I prepared myself a lovely meat stew that was worth at least 3 meals; the Babka project was slipping away...
What would go best with the stew? Corn muffins!
Roasted corn muffins with green chili and Parmesan crust

I remembered having seen a recipe for them in Robin's blog so as fast as 1 2 3, I had steaming buttery muffins for my fragrant stew. The best part is that you too can now bake them for yourself (I mean right away!).
Compared to Robin's recipe I added a few extra kicks to my muffins. I remembered having seen among my Stumbles a recipe featuring roasted sweet-corn kernels so they had to go in the muffins, and what about some real kick? As in Green Thai chili? You can bet on it! A little cheese too? Why not...

Roasted corn muffins with green chili and Parmesan crust
Roasted corn muffins with green chili and Parmesan crust

Ingredients (make 6 muffins):
  • 120g milk, room temperature or lukewarm
  • 50g butter, melted
  • 1tbsp canola oil
  • 1 egg, medium

  • 3 tbsp sweet-corn kernels
  • 1 medium garlic clove, unpeeled
  • 1 Thai green chili, minced

  • 80g cornmeal
  • 50g all-purpose flour
  • 25g sugar
  • 3/4tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • Parmesan


Method:
Heat up a skillet on a medium-low fire, add the sweet-corn and the garlic clove to it and roast them until they will start to caramelize.
In the meantime, combine in two separate bowls the dry and wet ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients with a fork or a whisk to ensure a uniform dispersion of the baking powder.
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.


When the corn and garlic will be roasted, mash the garlic through a garlic press and add it with the corn to the dry ingredients followed by the minced green chili; mix thoroughly.
Mix the wet with the dry ingredients until nicely combined and spoon the batter into a paper-lined muffin pan. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with some grated Parmesan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.



18 comments:

  1. I love the twists you've added. I'll have to try it that way next time. I hope you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Corn muffins. I am going to try these! With cheese.......yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The added chili is just "wow." what a great spin on corn bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love corn muffins with some added ingredients; especially if one ups the heat index; these are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing! My house full of men would love them!
    Stopping by from Secret Recipe Club!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great additions. Serious flavor play going on in these muffins. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything about this muffin sounds amazing! The perfect accompaniment for chili or soup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm enjoying my first month in the Secret Recipe Club and checking out all the blogs. I love your addition of Thai chili in the muffins, I'm going to be giving these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great! I bet they would be delicious with a big bowl of chili...yum! Great pick for the SRC :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous image and an outstanding Muffin! Very nice to meet you!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thai chilli in a muffin? Wow, that must've kicked things up a notch and I bet these went really well with your stew!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhh those sound so amazing! I love the ingredients you added to make the recipe your own. I LOVE cornbread, so I cannot wait to try out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice savory muffin recipe, love the heat factor with the chili, can't wait to make a batch and try, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound like a wonderful muffin! Lovin the sweet roasted corn, chilis, and everything is better with cheese! :) You did a great job with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous batch of muffins. I love the addition of the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's nothing better than hot, buttery corn muffins! I could eat these any time of day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a great snack! And I especially love savory ones :)!

    ReplyDelete